Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jan 1999 16:09:41 -0500
From:         John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>
Subject:      Re: Bus Depot SPAM, again! - Note from the List Admin!
Comments: To: Malcolm Stebbins <Malcolm.Stebbins@MSVU.CA>, vanagon@vanagon.com

Malcolm says.

>Here's another idea: All vendors charge 15% more for anyone >voting to limit vendor's advertising and the vendors can use that >money to subsidize those of us who are pro-vendors. malcolm s

Well you can be damn sure they have never much subsidized the list, with the exception of Ron to the tune of $100 or so a few years ago. Shit, what should really happen is THEY should have to pay to advertise on the list, once again 800 ducks in a small pond, a hell of a FREE marketing base. I stand by my opinions, limit all the damn adds to one day, and hell Malcolm actually sparks a good idea, even make THEM pay for anything commercial. That's free enterprise, makes sense, this list particularly has a track record of not running for nothing. If the list vendors want to respond as people with worthwhile information to posts without constant advertisement, so be it. And they can just as easily slap any pricing information they so choose in the pmail to whomever they want to help.

Unfortunately most of you don't realize how it "used to be," nostalgic BS I know but if we had nipped this in the bud years ago I think it would be a better place for it, like Erik O says more worthwhile topics followed about worthwhile things, less practical information getting lost in the cracks with no response to people who really might need help. I'm no elitist, if someone were to look back in the last year or two I've often reccomended list vendors in my very own posts, the absolute best form of advertising. I believe everything has its place, people who make money off the damn list could sure stand to put some of it back in.

John Anderson janderson@iolinc.net