Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:27:31 -0800
From:         Ian Cameron <ianc@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Reliability-final comment?
Comments: To: Patrick Hatcher <PHatcher@BIOPOP.COM>

At 10:23 AM 1/15/99 -0500, Patrick Hatcher wrote: >Sorry Phillip, gotta disagree. > >You asked how reliable a ten year old Totyota was? I drove my '86 >Toyota van for 150K until I sold it to help pay for my Westy, my sister >drove her '85 Toyota Van to 200K till she parked it (the interior was >trashed and she wanted a sportier car), and a good friend is still >driving her '85 at 250K, and here's the catch . . . all with NO MAJOR >ENGINE PROBLEMS.

Add my 1985 Toyota pick-up to the list. 165,000 km and so far I've had to put in a clutch and a muffler. Other than that - nada. Now, let me tell you about my 1982 Westy, 142,000 km. Just did an engine job. $3,100. I could buy another Toyota for that. Why don't I? Same as everyone else. The Westy is more comfortable to sleep in, and the propane stove is safer than a bonfire in the box of the pick-up. But reliability? No contest.