Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:12:13 -0700
Comments:     ( Received on motgate.mot.com from client mothost.mot.com,
              sender rlpa80@email.sps.mot.com )
From:         John-Reed Maffeo <rlpa80@EMAIL.SPS.MOT.COM>
Subject:      Rear Wiper Comments
Comments: To: arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM

Alan Bosch <arbosch@RA.ROCKWELL.COM> --- snip > Q: Do the rear wiper motors on Vanagons go belly up?

Yes they do. The one on my '86 Syncro went out 120k miles. It burned itself up and left a most annoying stench.

If so, are they > relatively easy to replace? Anyone got a spare they'd like to sell, should > the need arise?

They are quite easy to replace. The hardest part of the job for me was removing the panel retaining buttons. I busted most of mine while removing the panel. There is a special tool that is designed to remove the buttons, it may work better than a putty knife like the one I used.

I purchased a used motor assembly from a fellow list member for $40.

On my '86 the motor itself was not replaceable, I think that on later models you may be able to replace just the motor and not the whole assembly.

Good Luck,

John-Reed Maffeo '86 Syncro - Glacie > > Alan Bosch > Forty inches of snow in five days in Rochester, NY > Remember, drive sideways... > '88 Wolfsburg, "...slip slidin' away..."