Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jan 1999 14:57:57 -0500
From:         John Anderson <janderson@IOLINC.NET>
Subject:      Real topic, Wasserboxer case questions?

OK first real question I've asked to the list in 3 or 4 years, lets see if anyone has some real input. Not entirely a Vanagon question but vanagon folks should know.

I want to know the differences between the early wasserboxer case (thick shell bearings, 69mm stroke 1.9l) and a T1 case for possibility of building a T1 on the aluminum case. As it seems to me once you get past the big things like milling off the water jackets there are a couple main areas of potential interest.

1. The oil pressure relief system. Is the vanagon actually a single relief system as it appears, if so what is the function of that single plunger, identical to the single relief T1 or is there more to it. Is the warm oil high pressure relief neglected or is it built somehow into the oil filter flange and filter valving. I do not at the moment have an early block to dissasemble and look at and before I buy one I'd like to know.

2. Cylinder spigot holes, anyone know the diameter off hand, will a 94mm air cooled barell drop right in.

3. Rod related stuff, how do T1 and 69mm stroke wasserboxer rods compare, will the pin height of a standard air cooled Cima 94mm piston end up correct, and more importantly I guess can this even be done. I can't find a listing of the pin diameter for the wasserboxer but I feel from the last set I had out it is identical to the larger T4 pin, not the T1 part. So would I have to run the wasserboxer pistons in air cooled liners or if they work T1 rods, if so again what potential pin height, piston skirt type problems?

4. Bearings, are the 2, 3, and 4 identical to T1 parts, and is the #1 a T4 part. What oversizes are the wasserboxer bearings available in?

5. Head height, stock wasserboxer pushrods on hydraulic lifters going to come anywhere near correct?

I realize this is a commercially done option but those who perform the service are reasonable not inclined on commenting to people rolling their own.

I'm not overly concerned about the actual cutting and milling on the case, within reason I can do this myself, I realize I'll have to plumb for external oil cooling and face shrouding issues. What I'm looking for is some information from a wasserboxer owner who is a T1 enthusiast and might have both cases sitting around before I go out and buy a wassercase I have available to me. I understand this will likely take a good bit of machine work, but like I've said I simply want an idea of how much now.

John janderson@iolinc.net