Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jan 1999 18:26:09 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: diesel operating temp
Comments: To: braseelec@forbin.com, VWDIESEL@PAS-NT.PAS.ROCHESTER.EDU
              1999 16:55:20 -0600)

For the waterpumps:

There are 30 and 40mm hubs. You should have a 40mm There are cast and pressed metal impellers, and cast plastic ones. THe pressed metal one looks inferior to me. Pumps with different impellers have the same part nr. It's just a quality difference. Try different suppliers.

I've seen twice failed attempts to change the belt routing to one belt running both water pump and alternator. Once was by a "long time trusted mechanic". In both cases belt slippage caused overheating and immediate death due to head warping during highway driving.

Your problem is more likely the thermostat. Most are junk. Did you try a brass "wahler" brand 87Celcius?

/Martin

From: al brase <braseelec@forbin.com>

Martin: I've got a 82 diesel van with lots of miles on it and the original sachs shocks lasted till 125k miles. I started using it as a work vehicle at 100k and it is VERY heavily loaded. I scaled it at 5550 lbs. recently! So with that kind of load, the old shocks finally gave up. On another subject, I recently changed the water pump and now it runs too cold. I had a 95C thermostat in it and the guage was always 3/4 of the way over. Now it barely moves off the left peg. I tried a couple different thermostats and they were worse. I believe the guage is accurate because one of those-15F days the coolant froze and then it overheated. Then the guage was on the right peg. Do diesels have many different water pumps? The guy I bought it from said the hub was the only difference and if I got the one with the right hub it would be the right pump. If you've got any ideas I'd sure appreciate them. thanks, Al Brase Waterloo, Iowa

-- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------