Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Jan 1999 17:15:25 PST
From:         Robert Lilley <vwvanman@EXCITE.COM>
Subject:      Re: 133 mph WB?? BUNK!
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

> James Wrote: > I don't believe you for a second. I saw the list of mods you made, > there is no way I can figure how you got a 50% HP increase out of that2.1L. > NO change in displacement, NO forced induction, NO increase in > compression ratio, you seem to have defyed the laws of thermal dynamic > engineering. Is this a joke? Are you just trolling for controversy? > And 133mph is just plain CRAP. I have trouble getting my 210hp > Supercharged G60 GTi to 125mph. My friend got his highly modified > Corrado VR6, punched out from the stock 2.8l to 3.0, new cams, chip, > and schrick intake manifold to 140mph. And it's half the size, half the > aerodynmic resistance, and a lot more power... Did you test the Vanagon > in a Vacuum? This is RIDICULOUS. > The WB certainly can be made more effecient with your mods, and I > <italic>might</italic> buy a 20hp increase, but 40? Come on! Plus who > did the dyno testing? Not you since you haven't put the engine togetheryet. > Your claims are so outrageous that you might as well said 200hp and150mph. > After you get the engine together, I challenge you to some tests. I'll > be HAPPY to race my GTi, or Golf powered Vanagon against you. And I'll > pay to have you run Quarter miles on a track and to dyno test yourengine. > >

I Write:

I built a 2L engine for my 73' VW bus and I had it up past 100MPH, with some pedel still to go, ON FLAT GROUND! I can cruising at @80mph to 85mpg EVEN while going UPHILL(I did this during one trip from Texas to NC). In NC along 40 in the mountains my bus can go up the mountains at @70mph easily. The 2.1L engine I am building will have more power then my 2.0L so while I might not actually make 133 (THIS is according to the gearing chart) I feel that I can come close. I am NOT building my engine to race, but better efficiency hence the .70 fifth gear... It seems that you geared your car wrong if that is all you can do... You can pay me $6000 to run the quarter mile and dyno, I DID NOT BUILD IT TO RACE...I simply want a little more power and better gas mileage.Robert