Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jan 1999 15:29:19 -0800
From:         Ray Hunnam <hunnam@PNC.COM.AU>
Subject:      Re: need help, oil in coolant (bit long)
Comments: To: DAVID MOST <most@UCLA.EDU>

David.

The most useful publication I have is the VW Book of genuine parts. It has exploded pictures of how the beast is put together. I got mine from the U. K.( that's England for you Yanks.) Some of you guys over there I believe have it on C.D.

Ok. Apart from the mandatory plumbing nightmare associated with the oil cooler, the gizmo is held on by a single nut. To remove :-

Take the hoses off and plug them to avoid too much coolant loss. Remove the oil filter. Unscrew the nut ( Sorry I do not know size.) The cooler should just fall off. If it no go, then the gasket behind it may be holding it on.

Someone said recently that there may be a small pin hole in it that is allowing the free flow of both fluids.

Of course Murphy's Law will apply and anything that can go wrong will do so. But have a go anyway.

Ray