Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jan 1999 01:04:58 -0600
From:         Marshall Ruskin <mruskin@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Syncro in snowstorm, (try the Hudson's Bay)

Winnipeg is where you want to be. If that is too tame for you, there is always Churchill, Manitoba (on the shores of the Hudson Bay, BTDT).

Churchill is where they have the worlds highest concentration of polar bears in the fall and spring. Lots of beautiful Arctic foxes, too. In the summer, the bay fills with beluga whales, and the shore is full of exotic migrating birds. Tremendous bio-diversification. (By the way, it is a 2 hour flight to Winnipeg from the Twin Cities, and then about 2 hours by air to Churchill from Winnie.)

When I arrived there by train at about 7:00 am in early November, the wind was so strong and the snow so thick that I couldn't see the train station from the train! It was weird, the weather was so intense it seemed to me that I was on an alien world.

I almost turned around and went back onto the train, but I didn't. The whole town is like the warm-up shack at a skating rink!

At Halloween (a Canadian Holiday, do you celebrate it in the US too?), there are armed men with high powered rifles at every intersection to protect trick-or-treating children from the bears.

The night of the volunteer fire-fighter's ball, the main hotel burned down (a coincidence?). The next day, a native of the region was stuffing his parka with meat from hotel's freezer amongst the ruins. A bear smelled it, and mauled him to death.

It is an area full of historical sights, as the Hudsons Bay had an English fort in the late 1700's, and was a major port for early Canadian exploration.

Any questions, how about a Westy gathering there next month?

BTW, I has a "mystical" experience, an empowering experience, as I stood alone on the shore of the Hudson Bay and felt the winds coming all the way from the pole. Hard to describe, but those that haven't felt what I did have missed something in life.

Say, let's get a bunch of synchro's up there, and drive across the tundra to the fort. It would make National News in Canada, that's for sure. It would also be a great photo opportunity!

The only thing is, there are only two ways to Churchill, air or rail (no road). So everybody's synchro would have to be freighted in from Thompson (The last real rail stop connected near the highway). BTW, Thompson is home to the cold-weather testing facilities for the Big Three automakers. Want to get a spy shot of future cars, go there!

Comments on this topic are welcome!

Marshall Ruskin 84 Westy, currently without heater fans (load reduction relay or ignition switch pblm)

-----Original Message----- From: NACHTAIN7@AOL.COM <NACHTAIN7@AOL.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, January 21, 1999 12:03 AM Subject: Re: Syncro in snowstorm