Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jan 1999 11:14:59 -0600
From:         "Roy O." <keepsake@PANGEA.CA>
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Reliability

|> Karl Batzler wrote: |> |> Hi guys, |> The reliability of the "Vanagon" is highly dependant of how it is |> maintained and treated from new.

Sorry volks, in my case, I disagree...I bought my '87 Westfalia new and have virtually paid for it over again in repairs and parts. I was fastidious about using VW parts and having regular maintenance done at VW dealership. It has been very well treated in its 175K kilometer life.

Here's a sample of what you'll find in my three inch binder containing service orders and parts replaced since day one:

replace corroded and leaking cylinder heads three idle stabilisers new exhaust system and muffler two engine replacements four ball joints and tie rods three water pumps two speedometers two radios one propane tank three propane tank valves one pop top seal one complete paint job one fresh water supply tank (as Sonny and Cher once said...'and the list goes on...')

Add to this list regular normal wear and tear items such as shocks, brakes, tires, clutch pressure plate, rear hatch struts, belts, etc.. and service to correct chronic problems such as erratic idle, hesitation while highway driving, cold air entering from under passenger seat, chronic shift linkage freezing, etc., etc., etc.

It has left me stranded so many times that my daughter frequently questions our decision to go by van over going by our other vehicle ('91Honda Civic, absolutely reliable!, BTW). There has only been one year since buying the van, where it hasn't been towed at least twice.

IMHO the Vanagon is a good idea poorly implemented by VW. After the cash I poured into my van, you know why I write "till death us do part".

Roy O. '87 Westfalia ('till death us do part')