Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jan 1999 13:25:53 -0400
From:         Tim Smith <smitht@UNB.CA>
Subject:      time to bail...

Hi and bye All

Been thinking about this for a couple of days...

Since I now delete more unread list digests than I read I'd say the rate of return is becoming slim for me. Reading the list has become a chore, not a joy. So I'm bailing [fade in sound of vendors wildly cheering] I'll sneak back in 6 months and lurk a bit, but it doesn't feel now like I'll be staying then either.

I've been here for 5~6+ years? just can't remember. Started on V@L (yup Gerry S. booted me off there briefly for vendor flaming! I'm pretty consistant ain't I?) Thanks for the list Gerry!!

Seen a tremendous amount of great postings and my thanks to all, but this list has rolled over into something other than what it was. I don't think it was older folks going into EV's, I'd bet a few went back to aircooleds. I think we have a lot of first time VW bus owners, without the karma that owners of older buses seem to carry around, despite what type of bus they now drive. There is some minor life experience in surviving a few busses and their problems that gets lost if you 'jump the queue'.

I'm trying to figure out the basis for the change, I think see a more 'me first' mentality at work, just can't pin down the problem. I mentioned a 'Digital Bentley', don't even bother, the fights over ownership rights would kill it before it started, That typifies my impression of the list, self interest motives only. I suspect this is partly why people get PO'd when I slag a dealer, they are hooked out of necessity and must defend their habits.

I haven't read one decent 'personal' story/epic in years, mention of Tobin and Christa's tour brought that to mind. Bob Hoover and his wit, writing and knowledge was a great asset until the list split. It's like the glue that held this list in a community has withered up and gone away. Time for me to do the same. [more cheering]

Don't bother commenting on this to the list (nor to me really), total waste of bandwidth as it won't help you with your vanagon at all! David... pull the plug pls!

see ya, Tim