Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jan 1999 17:47:30 -0500
From:         Tom Carrington <tcarrington@RELITECH.COM>
Subject:      Re: Upper ball-joint replacement how-to online

John-Reed Maffeo wrote: > > Mr. Carrington has done an excellent job on this. Congratulations.

Thanks so much for the kind words. BTW, Tom is fine for me. I don't even let my students call me Mr. :)

> > Would you please tell us how you did the photographs? They are > excellent.

The pictures were taken with a Kodak DC-20 digital camera. This was one of the first cameras on the market. I have had it for 3 years now, and enjoy it. Quite primitive compared to today's models, mine has no flash, no LCD screen and low memory only allows 8 images at a time. This level of camera features can be had for less than $100 USD these days.

Due to the lack of a flash unit, lighting is always an issue. I sometimes also crop parts of the image since all I get to look through is a hole in the camera case, just like the venerable Kodak Instamatic of the 60's and 70's. I don't even get the goofy dashed-lines in the viewfinder to serve as a guide.

> I have never tried to document a repair, but I do have a video > camera and a Macintosh computer with A/V capabilities available.

I know that David Marshall has used his video camera for his screen shots before, they look quite good also. One of the big pains is that I usually work alone, so I have to stop and wipe the grease off my hands before snapping photos or downloading images to my laptop. Funny, I always have my laptop in the garage with me while I work. > > If I could put something together how should I submit it? > Just send it to me via E-mail. Feel free to format the text and images, or send them raw and I will work with you to get them to your liking. I'm no writing or imaging expert, but we could probably make things work out. For example, Helmut Zeidler has an excellent article on rear seatbelt installation for Westy owners. I promised to Americanize his English for him a few months ago...but haven't had the time. Maybe soon?

-- TomC tcarrington@relitech.com http://www.relitech.com/tomc/tomvw.htm 85 Vanagon CrewCab 82 Vanagon Westy diesel =>gas conversion 65 Notchback