Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Jan 1999 08:06:13 -0800
From:         Vanman <mckayaa@OIT.EDU>
Subject:      Re: CV joint or Axle Joint?
Comments: To: "Timothy Crooks, RN,CDE" <anc1cde@EARTHLINK.NET>

I'm not sure about the difference between the axle joint and the CV joint, but I think that they are the same thing by your description. When I had my CV joints go out on me (both sides, one left me stranded, I discovered the other when I repaired the first), I ordered reman halfshafts from my FLAPS for about $120 + core, so I wouldn't have to install the CV on the shaft, and by the time it was all said and done, the I got 2 ready to install half shafts for the price of 3 individual CV joints, and less labor. It took me 6 hours to do the job from start to finish (7 hrs if I include gathering tools, animals visiting me under the car, and puting the car on jack stands), but could be done faster if it was on a lift and I was a little more sloppy about it. As it was, I solvent washed the "sockets" that the individual CV's fit into, and I was as sanitary as if I was rebuilding the engine. Hope this helps...

-Aaron Mckay mckayaa@oit.edu college student in mechanical engineering at Oregon Institute of Technology '85 vanagon GL Blue Austrailian Shepard cleaning my face as I work under the van

-----Original Message----- From: Timothy Crooks, RN,CDE <anc1cde@EARTHLINK.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Thursday, January 21, 1999 12:43 AM Subject: CV joint or Axle Joint?