Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jan 1999 11:21:57 -0800
From:         "Willie T. Lafrades" <WillieLafrades@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Light at the end of the tunnel....maybe not
Comments: To: vanagon@vanagon.com

I decided to find out what was wrong with the dash lights. I took apart the switch assy and found that a coil on the rheostat(sp?) had burnt, thus losing the voltage source to the dash lights. Now the question is was there too much current (short) or just old age? If I do a continuity test of line 58b to ground what would be the proper ohm reading? I cant imagine very much with just a couple of bulbs in line. I would just hate to let the smoke out of my new switch! :-) As I solve one problem on to another. On friday I am driving home @ 1 AM and its raining like crazy. As soon as I cross the SF bay bridge the check oil led and buzzer go off. Sheer panic as I envision myself peering into the engine compartment in the dark and rain. I look at my temp gauge and it looks fine (below led) so I figured that my dealer that installed the new engine 250 miles ago screwed up and I would continue on with my fingers crossed. I made it home and the next morning I found that the oil sensor wire was rubbing against the power steering belt. Almost sheered the connector right off. Now the question, was the original female connector bent at 90 degrees to avoid the belt? What is the proper routing to prevent this in the future and do you all think I should let the VW dealer deal with it? It isn't a hard job to splice in a new connector but the space is really tight and the wire is tie wrapped around the sensor. your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, Willie