Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jan 1999 13:07:47 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: rectangular E-Code headlights
Comments: To: kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM>

Chris, I considered the relays, larger wires, etc the the headlights. But first I just measured the volts at the headlights with them on. There is quite a bit of voltage drop with the high beams on, but not much with the low beams. And the low beams are the problem. I figure if you can get adequate lighting with the hi beams, but not the low beams (and the low beams are working at a higher voltage because they are drawing less amps), the the problem must be with the low beam head lamps since the are both using the same wiring source. Also, I did some quick calculations using the light intensity vs voltage numbers that Stern Lighting gives in his write up on installing relay wiring, and decided that what greater light intensity I could get by reducing voltage drop would not be enough to make the low beams adequate. After reading all of Stern Lighting's educational material, it seems that the problem with our low beams is not the voltage. It seems that the problem is that they are poorly designed head lamps with the worst bulb available. Wattage is only a small part of the problem. Efficient headlamp reflector and bulb design seems to be more important than a small voltage drop. Reading Stern Lighting's write up it appears that E-Code is the answer. Also, you might want to be aware, that according to Stern Lighting, it is not safe to put higher wattage bulbs into our American headlamps even with larger wiring. That's because of the very small connectors where the bulb plugs in. Too much heat according to Stern. Here again, the E-Codes have larger connectors and would be better set up to go to a larger bulb if necessary. The Stern Lighting web site is at: http://lighting.mbz.org/ if you are interested. Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: kenneth d lewis <kdlewis@JUNO.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, January 24, 1999 11:57 AM Subject: Re: rectangular E-Code headlights