Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jan 1999 15:59:46 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Weird VW sighting...
              Automatic digest processor on Sun, 24 Jan 1999 00:00:23 -0800)

> From: Austin <austins@IX.NETCOM.COM> > > While cruising from Prescott to Phoenix Thursday I was passed by a 'VW LUPO > 1.4' and an 'AUDI A3 1.8' (as badged on the back); they both had mfgr. > plates, & I had to push the 8V GTI up to >90 to catch/keep up. I hope they

The Lupo is VW's answer to European demands on more environmentally friendly vehicles. In its TDI version the Lupo meets the 3l/100km EU fuel efficiency goal, as well as the newest superlow emmission standards, Euro-3D-Norm. Copied a post I made to the Diesel list on the topic below.

Note that emmission standards in Europe are different from in the USA. That is what's driving the development in Europe of engines with small cylinder volumes, yet powerful. Emmissions in Europe are measured in grams of pollutants per travelled km, while in the US it is measured in ppm, that is, as a fraction of the exhaust volume.

For example, compare two engines which meet the same US style ppm requirement, but one has a 1.4l engine and the other a 4l engine. To a good approximation the 1.4l engine will pump 1.4*x*v*dT liters of exhaust every minute, where x is throttle position, v is engine speed, and dT is volume expansion between intake and exhaust; the latter propotional to the temperature difference.

The larger 4l engine pumps 4*x*v*dT. Gearing typically differs somewhat between engine choices, but not dramatically. A small engine typically found in import cars might be geared to run 2500rpm at 60mph, while a large engine might run 2200rpm.

Hence the difference in emmissions per unit distance travelled is 4*x*v*dT*2200/(1.4*x*v*dT*2500), so while both engines meet the same US emmissions standard if instead measured per mile (or km) travelled the vehicle with the larger engine actually pollutes two and a half times more.

/martin

----------------------- Previous post: ----------------------------- Sender: The VWDiesel List <VWDIESEL@PAS-NT.PAS.ROCHESTER.EDU> From: Martin Jagersand <jag> Subject: [VWDIESEL] In Germany: Buy an environmentally concious car and get a tax credit!

Just thought I'd pass on the following tidbit of information:

If you buy the new VW Lupo TDI you get a DM 1500 tax credit in Germany! (Approx US$800)

The credit is:

DM 500 for meeting the new Euro-3D-Norm for clean exhaust.

and

DM 1000 for emitting less than 90 gram carbondioxide per km.

This credit is part of a bigger initiative for environmentally concious transportation. The general idea is to stimulate low emmissions automobiles and penalize high emissions ones.

An unsual aspect of it (for being a government program) is that you can swap the engine yourself in an older car and if you put in a cleaner engine you get the same benefits as if you buy a new car.

Martin Schulte did this in his VW camper. He pulled the old gas engine and put in a low milage TDI and saves hundreds of DM every year on both fuel consumption and registration fees. Some posts on his swap can be found on my turbo pages.

/Martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------