Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jan 1999 23:58:04 +0100
From:         Per Lindgren <lindgre@ONLINE.NO>
Subject:      Re: Weird VW sighting...

Dave wrote:

> Those two are no joke. They exist and are in production. The Lupo is the > replacement for the Polo, and there is a european race series based solely on > these cars. The Audi A3 1.8 you saw is based on the same chassis as the new > Golf 4. And that 1.8 is a turbo, capable of 200+ hp. Too bad we will never > see these cars on our shores... > Some explaining is needed.....

The Audi A3 has been on the Euro market since 1996, and its primary competitors are the VW Golf and BMW 3series Compact. Engines range from 100 to 180 hp, the latter available with Quattro. Diesels are 90 and 110 hp TDIs. Maybe Audi will give the A3 a go at the US market, rumored are a S3 model with the 225 hp engine from the TT.

The Lupo is not a replacement for the Polo, but a smaller car than the Polo. The Lupo is coming to the Euro market as we speek, while its nameplate twin Seat Arosa has been out for a year already. Lupo engines range from 50 (1,0) to 75 hp (1,4) and Diesels from 60 (1,7 SDI) to 61 hp (1,2 3-cyl TDI) The 1,4 is available with a 4-speed A/T, the 1,2 TDI is the fuel sipper (3l/100 km)

As always, to get more info, check:

http://www.audi.com for the A3 or

http://www.volkswagen.de in English or http://www.drei-liter-lupo.de German Only!

PerL