Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 24 Jan 1999 22:19:55 EST
From:         Sam Bateman <SBate82659@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: rectangular E-Code headlights

<< Reading Stern Lighting's write up it appears that E-Code is the answer. >>

I totally agree with the above statement - the fact of the matter is that even though the DOT lamps have 'Hella' emblazened on them they're just not worth a crap on low beam. I'm sure that the kit mentioned earlier to retrofit the more standard 5 X 7" H-4 lights will work great but I wonder if anyone has tried fitting a standard 5 X 7" headlight bucket out of a junkyard special to the existing Vanagon bracket? It sure looks like something could be contrived with a bit of ingenuity that would serve the same function. I am planning to give it a go in the near future since I have recently acquired a set 5 X 7" Carello H-4's (out of a Peugot 505 wagon, of all things!). Just wondering.....does anyone have any experience with Carello headlamps? These units seem to be equal in quality of manufacture to the Hella and Bosch lights that I have seen. They are stamped "E 3" within a circle - I assume this has some meaning and is different from the "E 1" markings that I've seen on other lights. Does anyone know what the "E x" stamp means and how a E3 is different from a E1, for instance? I figured that for a price of $30.00 for the pair including Osram H-4 bulbs they were worth a gamble. What remains to be seen is how much trouble I'll have retrofitting them to my Vanagon and how the light distribution looks once they're fitted. Oh well, I've got an extra light bracket and grill - guess they're worth sacrificing in the name of better vision.

Sam Bateman Fork Union, VA '87 Vanagon GL