Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:30:27 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Metric to AWG wire size conversion chart
Comments: To: "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@vol.com>, midwesty@midwest.net

Robert, Just one last thought before I go off line for a day or two: If we consider two of the largest wire sizes specified in the Bentley we can see from the following that the numbers expressed in mm must be cross sectional area and not diameter: If we assume the wires represented by 25.0 and 70.0 to be diameters, then 25mm divided by 10 = 2.5cm divided by 2.5 = 1 inch diameter 70mm divided by 10 = 7.0cm = divided by 2.5 = 2.8 inch diameter I don't think you will find a wire anywhere on any Vanagon that is 1 inch in diameter not including the insulation. And certainly not 2.8 inches. But, if we assume the wires represented by 25.0 and 70.0 to be cross sectional areas (A = pi R2) then, 25mm2 divided by 3.14 (pi) = 7.96, sq root of 7.96 = 2.82 (radius) x 2 = 5.6mm diameter, 5.6mm divided by 10 = .56cm divided by 2.5 = .23 inch diameter wire

70mm2 divided by 3.14 (pi) = 22.29, sq root of 22.29 =4.72 (radius) x 2 = 9.4mm diameter, 9.4mm divided by 10 = .94cm divided by 2.5 = .38 inch diameter wire

I think if you look at the wires on the Vanagon you will find battery ground wires and battery to starter wires of about .23 inch and .38 inch diameters respectively.

And I think this proves that the mm specifications of wires in the Bentley represent the cross sectional area and not the diameter of the wire. And that means that the cross sectional mm2 to AWG chart that I reproduced from Haynes yesterday does apply to the Bentley.

If I'm wrong about this, please show me where. I love to learn or I wouldn't be on the list. Thanks for the fun. Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: Robert A. Alexander <satcong@vol.com> To: Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net> Date: Sunday, January 24, 1999 9:12 PM Subject: Re: Metric to AWG wire size conversion chart