Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jan 1999 11:59:06 -0500
From:         Martin Jagersand <jag@CS.YALE.EDU>
Subject:      Re: alternator upgrade
              Automatic digest processor on Mon, 25 Jan 1999 00:00:03 -0800)

>From: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG> > >This is what I know about VW alternators. > >- stay with Bosch - Motorola and others are not that good. Both Bosch and Motorola are OEM. I didn't know there was a quality difference. To make them last longer you can lubricate the bearings through the little hole in the end of the case. Only other maintenance is to replace brushes when worn. Cost about $2 for a new pair that you solder to the brush holder. This is easy on the "square box" style holder, but a bit of a pain on the other style. (The one that look like a TO3 transistor)

>- most all Bosch alternators will work on almost any VW. Currently I am >running my Vanagon 90A alternator on my Audi 80 engine. This means that >any inline four alternator will work on your Vanagon. Basically you have >to swap over your existing belt pulley to make it work.

The alts have different diameters and depths. The Vanagon Diesel came with two kinds of alt mounting brackets (both difficult to find used). One accepts only smaller alts and one that is adjustable.

>- try to find a Passat or Corrado 120A Alternator - some EVs have 150A >alternators. I have almost 1kW of high beams and the 90A alternator drops >below 12V with all the lights on. 90A isn't enough especially in the >winter with the blower and wipers on all the time. >- The wire that runs from the alternator to the stater should be changed to >at least 4 gauge. Lots of loss occurs here. From the starter to the >battery it is pretty thick stuff. > >Now, does anyone have any info on how to wire up TWO alternators? :)

Actually there is some reference to this on the early microfiche, but I wasn't able to figure out the details on how it was done.

For people running 1.9l TD or TDI's with either my or Winkler's modified motor mounts it might be possible to do a dual alternator (and AC) setup using brackets from the B2 Passat/Quantum. These let you put the second alt (and compressor) on the other side of the block using the bosses for the motor mount.

/Martin -- Westy 1.9l Turbo Diesel Quantum 1.6l Turbo Diesel

Martin Jagersand email: jag@cs.yale.edu Computer Science Department jag@cs.rochester.edu Yale University

Slow down and visit the VW diesel Westy page: WWW: http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/jag/vw -------------------------------------------------------------------