Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:03:24 -0800
From:         "Pollard, Matthew" <Matthew.Pollard@OREADCA.COM>
Subject:      fuel pump relay: where? cleaning? replacing?

I am having the dreaded cold start problems. I have concluded that it is because of lack of fuel to the engine. Here are my symptoms: after a warm period I turn the ignition on. I hear the fuel pump for a second or so. I continue to start the rig with no problems at all. After a period of coldness (sub zero), I turn on the ignition and hear no fuel pump and the engine won't fire up. I will leave the ignition on for a minute to help warm the relays. I then turn the ignition on again and if I hear the fuel pump the engine readily starts. But if I don't hear the pump the pump the engine will not turn over.

Conclusion?: I'm assuming that some moisture or slime or something funky has befriended my fuel pump relay on cold mornings. I need to clean/replace this part if possible. Where is this relay housed? Can I clean it?

The battery is 59 months old and is ready to be replaced. It has a 60month warranty and honestly, it doesn't hold much of a charge!

Thanks Matthew p.s., this whole issue really scared me last night after two days of 2' powder telemarking when my rig wouldn't start. I was ready to bivy in the parking lot!