Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jan 1999 14:59:50 -0800
From:         harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Sink P-Traps: great deal!

Malcolm, Bill, Phil, and the other westy owners with sinks:

Yes I admit the hacksaw blade idea wasn't so elegant. But you have to give me some credit for not using my chainsaw. :) But I tell you, the plastic main body of the trap did not budge. I also used needle nose pliers from the top and a pipe wrench under the sink. The n.n. pliers started to bend the basket strainer. Malcolm, from reading your post, it appears you only replaced the center screw and the little nut. I had to replace the whole plastic unit, since the plastic bracket holding the nut was also cracked. The new sink traps come as a complete assembly, so might as well replace the whole thing. Phil in Canada was asking where I found mine. The sink trap I found here at a local small camper repair shop in Olympia WA. It is distributed by a Canadian company. MFG by PAR, Nameco TME of Canada LTD. P Trap assembly Part # 12-001 Actually I paid 12.59 u.s.d. This new P trap does not have the center leak-prone thumb screw. The round bowl is held in place with 4 screws on the perimeter of the bowl. Should be easy to find in Canada. Harald 90 westy in Wa. the State.

>Malcolm wrote: >Hacksaw blades??? Another reason to check the archives. I went >through this last summer and posted what I found. ON the type >that has the one central wing-nut, what one needs to do is to go >DOWN from the top (through the sink) to get a grip on the TOP of >the nut, then it is possible to unscrew the 'rusted-out' thumb screw >from the bottom. I then replaced the screw with a stainless-steel >nut & bolt and sealed the bottom of it with washer and water proof >sealant, and it works fine. Also remember to put some plumber's >anti-freeze down the sink in the winter or you'll get a cracked trap. >Sawing the trap off is not necessary in my experience. My full '>sink-trap' story is in the archives. malcolm s

Bill wrote: > Today I found an EXACT replacement (M.A.S. Model DT-151X, NSF-24) at Allied > Trailer (an RV supply place) in Sacramento, CA for $5.95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! > But I bought the other model for $6.23 (Admiral A-60-C, NSF-24) that seems > less likely to rust with the screw off to the side and out of the water. > With the Admiral you have to pop take the screw out and pop the bowl to > drain it. That's slightly harder than draining through the thumb hold screw > of the stock model, but it will last a lot longer I think. My threaded > metal strainer holder fit both models. > So look in your local RV Part store for the P-Trap. If they don't have it, > call Allied Trialer and they'll mail it to you. > Their phone number is 916-922-3487. They're a good shop. I also bought an > inexpensive water pump from them for my Westy. And they will take phone > orders