Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:49:59 -0800
From:         Doug Jones <duge4wd@EMAIL.MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Legal swaps Was: Re: Audi 5 Cyl Swap: Alert! Possible Trouble

>> From: Gary Shea <> >> >> It's actually a bit more complicated than Mark suggests, unfortunately. >> I recently talked to a smog guy here in Utah state gov't, who informed me >> that federal law requires that the engine not only be of the same or newer >> vintage, but must also have been available as standard equipment for >> the vehicle that year or in later years in the US. Thus the 5 cylinder >> Audi CANNOT satisfy federal reg's, as I understand them. My >> understanding is that the underlying rule is that engine/vehicle combo >> must already have been certified by the gov't as passing smog tests, >> and of course that implies the above restrictions.

To the best of my knowledge, this is not always the case.

This is not a cause for panic, unless you live in Utah (or a "Utah-like" state). State requirements for meeting certain aspects of the federal emissions laws are open to interpretation by said state. Which is why in NJ, all cars of all years are emissions tested(if I remember correctly), when in MD (and some other states) you are exempt after 20 or 25 years. It may be like state enforced speed limits; The state's choice may effect certain types of federal funding. The problem, I believe may lie more with the fact that there is no record of a five-cylinder VW Vanagon. Most, if not all, states have computerized databases of vehicle/engine combos used during the testing process; Much like your local Pep Boys or other FLAPS. So they ask if you have the 4 or 6 or 8 (or 10 or 12!!!) cylinder engine when inputting data for the emissions test. If no engine of that type exists for your model they have a problem. (The fact that your swapped engine might pass the test is apparently not of importance!) It's a question of priorities; They like the system the way it is, and don't want to change it. So, you can only have the engines listed in the system. Many states perpetuate the idea of the 'hotrodder', someone who messes with a good vehicle for evil purposes; An absolute danger to the public. Face it, most state reps, and senators drive luxo-boats and have someone else change their plugs and oil [usually a lobbyist ;-) ] .

Unless something has radically changed nation-wide during the past six months........... The restrictions on engine replacement is readily available information, and it varies FROM STATE TO STATE. What you were told is (or MAY be) Utah's interpretation of the law. Every year Hot Rod magazine publishes the restrictions for engine replacement, state by state. They differ greatly. Some states allow anything that passes the emission restrictions, others only allow unrestricted engine replacement to vehicles built prior to 1985 or so, and others allow only engine combos available for your chassis year, period. Apparently, Utah sucks in this department. There are phone numbers and web pages for this info, when I find the reference, I post it.

Bottomline: Check with YOUR STATE. And understand that owning vehicles made after, say, 1975-1980 means emission equipment, and lots of it. Many states are very picky about you even touching it; They could care less about your actual NO or CO readings. Any alteration of factory emissions equipment is a capital crime, that probably has more to do with this problem. Not necessarily bad laws, just badly worded laws.

Remain calm. All is well. DougJ