Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Jan 1999 22:16:46 -0800
From:         Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Legal swaps, California rules, long

Hello, everyone. I had hoped to stay away from a discussion of this subject until I had actually been through it, but here is what I believe to be the case. I have researched the rules for swaps in California and they can be done legally. The State actually has written guidelines for the conversions. The Eurospec conversion is done under these same rules. They are a special case because they are using a new engine and equipment, not one that came out of a California Air Resources Board approved vehicle. Therefore they needed a special status because the engine numbers that they use would not appear in the State computerized system as having been installed in an approved model. In both cases, after the conversion is done, the vehicle must be taken to a Smog Referee Station where it is inspected and the tail pipe emissions checked. If found compliant, a sticker is permanently attached to the vehicle identifying it as having a compliant engine swap and all future Smog Checks are done in the normal way by the normal places. In order to be compliant, the engine that is put in must come from the same or newer model year of the same class vehicle. The emission requirements differ from class to class, so you must stay within a class. For example you may not put an engine from a heavy truck into a passenger vehicle. All emissions equipment that came with it must be installed with the engine. All sensors and warning lights must be used, along with the correct ECU etc. for the year model of the engine being installed. These are the rules as I understand them and I will post my experiences after I go through the process. I intend to have a fully legal engine configuration and I will be satisfied with nothing less. Any one doing the swap in another state should investigate the rules there. California generally has the most restrictive smog rules but I would be interested to find out otherwise.

Mark Drillock, guinea pig 87 Syncro Camper, Quantum 5 Cylinder 2.2 t-minus 1 week or so and counting