Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jan 1999 09:14:10 -0800
From:         YauMan Chan <YauMan@CCHEM.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject:      Re: Legal swaps - My experience
Comments: To: drillock@EARTHLINK.NET

Ok.. here's my experience in 1992 - pre-smog-2 days.

I dropped a 1991 1.8 litre engine into a 1979 1.6L Rabbit. The rabbit (owned by a little old lady who put only 50K miles in it) was in perfect body condition but with a thrown rod protruding from the side of the long block. I was given that car by the little old lady's daughter after the mother died. I purchase the engine factory new from a VW bug shop in Hayward CA.

I purt the engine in and replace all the sensor wiring that the 1979 Rabbit was equipped with. I kept all the oem air intake and fuel injectrion system and most importantly the exhaust system.

I took it ot the CAB "Referee Station" in Pacheo, CA. (It's located in a warehouse and very discrete.) They don't take appointments. I have to stand in line for about half a day while a few hot rods with hot headed owners in front of me argued with the referee/mechanics.

My turn came up. I explained what I did, ie put a 1991 1.8L Golf/Sirocco engine in a 1.6L 1979 Rabbit. They looked over the engine, checked all the sensor wires, looked under the car and ask if I made any modes to the exhaust. They questioned why I had to block off an aux air intake port on the head. I had to explain that the 1979 Rabbits ditdn't have provision for that sensor. They looked up some big book and could not find any 1.8L Rabbits. I convinced them that there is no such thing and that the Sirocco/Golt and Rabbits are basically the same car. They looked up the weight class and agreed that I have not made any "substantial changes" I showed them the receipt of the new Factory standard engine. They proceeded to do emissions test on it. It only had to pass to 1978/79 standard but instead it passed to 1991 standard! Whew! Anyway, they entered the VIN into their smog check computer system and gave me a smog check cert. In addition, they gave me a note with their CAB seal stating that the it is ok that I have blocked off the aux air intake port because it is not required equipment on that car.

That piece of paper was useful in subsequent years when I have to do smog check on the Rabbit. During the visual, when ask did I remove something, I can answer no and show them the CAB note. It never hand any problem passing smog tests.

Anyway, the whole inspection process took less than an hours and was rather painless (except for the part about waiting 3 hours in line!) Driving a Rabbit with 1.8L is a kick. (I gave the car to my mom and she promptly got a speeding ticket!)

Since the new SMOG-2 program came along, I think the procedure may differ somewhat, but they have also put up more referee stations and you can actually make appointments for a visit.

Yau-Man Chan 87 GL

>>> Mark Drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET> 01/26 10:16 PM >>> These are the rules as I understand them and I will post my experiences after I go through the process. I intend to have a fully legal engine configuration and I will be satisfied with nothing less. Any one doing the swap in another state should investigate the rules there. California generally has the most restrictive smog rules but I would be interested to find out otherwise.

Mark Drillock, guinea pig 87 Syncro Camper, Quantum 5 Cylinder 2.2 t-minus 1 week or so and counting