Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Jan 1999 13:57:00 -0700
From:         Gary Shea <shea@GTSDESIGN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Legal swaps Was: Re: Audi 5 Cyl Swap: Alert! Possible Trouble

Well, here's another bit of data. I just spoke with Jeff Houk at the Denver EPA Region VIII office, ph # 800 227 8917 x6446. He had some interesting things to say.

1) The EPA has reg's as far as engine swapping that apply in the 49 states excluding CA. The EPA reg's are those I described in an earlier post, namely that the only legal engine swaps are those which exactly (and I mean _exactly_, it doesn't sound too flexible...) match a configuration already approved for sale in the US, are the EPA reg's. This seems to directly contradict what Michael Sullivan reported... I can't reconcile the two. I've heard it from two sources now, is all I can say.

2) The CA CARB board supersedes the EPA reg's in CA. Also, the EPA has no facilities like CA CARB for certifying particular configurations, so they accept CA CARB cert's anywhere in the 49 states over which they have jurisdiction. What that means is that if the results of properly installing the Eurospec kit or Detlev's installation is ceritified by the CA CARB board, then it's legal (federally speaking, it says nothing about local law) everywhere in the country. Yeay!

3) The EPA laws are enforced by the EPA; the states are not required to enforce them. Apparently the EPA does some enforcement on the work of repair shops and such. Effectively, the EPA reg's don't affect those of us who do all our own work, because we'll never be visited by a representative of the EPA. Keep in mind, however, that we _are_ technically a bunch of glinty-eyed criminals, renegades, and generally un-American losers.

To which I'll add:

4) Local government makes its own inspection laws and those are the point at which things can get sticky. I don't think that there are any sure bets at the local level. You have to talk to your state, county, and city gov'ts to know what you can do.

I hope this helps make up for my earlier rash statements ;)

Gary

----------------------------------------------------------------- Gary Shea shea@xmission.com Salt Lake City http://www.xmission.com/~shea