Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jan 1999 00:07:04 +1100
From:         "Timothy Crooks, RN,CDE" <anc1cde@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Smog Check & Inspection problems?
Comments: To: vmontgo32@JUNO.COM

Victor Montgomery wrote: > > South Carolina has also eliminated vehicle inspections, but one must have > an instate address for mailing purposes. > > Tennessee has never had any vehicle inspections and has no vehicle or > personal property taxes. > > Victor... > > On Wed, 27 Jan 1999 08:20:18 -0600 "Robert S.Williams, MD:Laptop" > <rwill@DIGITECHS.COM> writes: > >I hereby invite the members of the entire vanagon list to register > >their > >vehicles in the state of Arkansas. Yes, this state has repealed the > >law > >requiring safety inspections of any sort whatsoever. No smog checks or > >safety inspections are ever required. The responsibility to ensure the > >vehicle you own is roadworthy is your own. So here, at least, you also > >get > >the right to see after your own vehicles' safety without having to > >worry > >about paying the government to look after it for you. > > > > > > > > Robert S. WIlliams, MD > > Family Practice - Arkansas > > '82 Aircooled Westie > > '95 3-cylinder Geo Metro (w/ A/C) > >

Ohio has no safety inspection that is annual, but they may had a roadside only at random. You need to be missing a wheel or something to fail it (g). I remember having my old '71 Ghia with a front seat that was supported by a Chevette bumper jack that I had wedged in the rear heater well and the other end rested on the floor near the clutch. It was not safe, but I was young and dumb at 16 and there was no one to tell me otherwise, (most 16 year old boys know are there is to know (g). Back then I dreamed of owning a Vanagon (I had to get some Vanagon content in here somehow), I had plenty of old VW's. Then I moved to NJ. Wow, inspections and smog check, and they are only getting worse. I could see the reason for the safety but the smog check has never been proven effective. Come to think of it, my old ford passed last year with a worn tire, (the inspector cut his and on the cord whilst checking the front end for slack). So much for the effectiveness of safety (No I do not drive the Ford, but it has to have a valid stick on the screen to sit in my driveway). THe point is safety is the driver's responsibility. I was damn lucky I did not get hurt in the old Ghia (the deer did though) but I think the state should put more effort into educating drivers in PMCS of there cars. I think if a police officer sees what he believes is an unsafe vehicle he should investigate and educate the driver (Oh God I hear those flame throwers warming up) Only my opinion and since I am not a senator or anything like that, don't worry nothing like that will happen because of me. I just try to set a good example and enjoy my Vanagon. Maintenance is cheaper than repairs, if you keep up with it. -Tim 1990 GL Barnegat PS Ohio does have smog's (E-Check) in several urbanized counties I am told by the folks back home now.