Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Jan 1999 15:30:14 -0600
From:         al brase <braseelec@FORBIN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Philosophy, long, working on VW's
Comments: To: "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@bulley-hewlett.com>
Comments: cc: "physicshelp@rocketmail.com" <physicshelp@rocketmail.com>,
          "type2@type2.com" <type2@type2.com>,
          "vanagon@vanagon.com" <vanagon@vanagon.com>

Matthew: I guess I can see both sides of it, but I do agree with much of what you say. I would have to agree that many of the jobs I do on my vehicles are probably not worth what they cost me and your letter will probably make me reconsider some jobs. However there are a few things I must take exception with: 1. I already do a lot of service work for others-many of whom don't appreciate the good job that I did. On the other hand, when I fix my vehicles, the customer always appreciates it. Just this week I rebuilt the carb on a Chevy truck that I've had for 4 or 5 years. Sweet! Runs like new! I wish I'd done it 4 years ago! 2. I regard fixing things as immensely, immediately rewarding. This can be pretty cheap therapy even if the shop down the street can do it for less dollars. 3. I do not judge people by the color of their hands or the shabbiness of their clothes.(Re: Ken's byline) One of the neatest people I know is a bodyman who has removed many dents from old Triumph motorcycle gas tanks prior to rechroming. A true metal finisher, metal bumper. I want to be like him when I grow up- except for the hearing aids- (I use ear plugs) 4. On the subject of dollars, when one makes $50 an hour he keeps maybe $30 after taxes, so that much might change your equation. 5. If you start with kids early enough, helping fix cars or ____ (fill in the blank) is a joy for them and also very confidence building. Some people call this quality time. We don't have children of our own but many neighbors kids and nieces/ nephews have learned about wrench sizes and which way to unscrew a nut in my shop. My 18 year old nephew even did nearly all the bodywork/ paint prep on a repaint of his Porsche (which I gave him). I did the spraying, but next time maybe we'll have enough time that he can try it. His sister is now helping with a resto of a sunroof 67 bug I bought for her. There are real safety issues involved with kids in a shop, but they are the same ones as for adults, you just think about them more when youngsters are present. 6.There are jobs that I've learned not to do anymore: the effort/ result ratio just isn't there for me especially on exhaust work. 7. I heartily agree with you about giving a tip as a reward for good work. Generosity doesn't cost, it pays. It's especially apreciated by mechanics, I doubt 5% of customers give tips. That goes for a lot of other services as well, I'm sure. 8. I think you worry too much about doing perfect work. Don't take it so seriously- professionals don't. They'll never lose sleep worrying about whether a seal was in straight. (It probably was, though) 9. Still though, your points are well taken, I think I'll just buy a new engine for my diesel vanagon that's worn out in 50k miles after the village expert rebuilt it with BRAZILLIAN pistons. I guess trusting your mechanic is of vital importance! Thanks for taking us to a higher level of awareness on this subject. Al Brase 69 double cab

G. Matthew Bulley wrote: > > Folks-Still lurking on T-2, off of Vanagon.com. I had a few hours this > morning, and need to offer a contrasting opinion on something. Forgive the > length...it's a soapbox issue for me. <snip> > * I suffered the scorn of my family and friends as they endured my > caustic-smelling, car-less, collapsed, corpus at the dinner table, and on > related errands. > * I permitted smelly car parts, tools, and clothing inside the sanctity of > my home > * I suffered elevated blood pressure and restless sleep as I pondered "Am I > doing this exactly right? -- Did I remember to torque the blah-blah to 80 > ft/lbs.?? - <snip> . <: "Do what you do BEST, > and OUTSOURCE the rest". I don't care what type of work you do. If you > enjoy what you do, eliminate the cluttering obligations in your life (like > working on your car) and concentrate on your work at least 40 hours each > week. You will get ahead faster than all the other "distracted" Joe's and > Jane's in the company. The money will follow. If you don't like what you > are doing, change jobs. Find what you love and do that. You'll never make > anything doing work you don't like. There has never been a time in our > economy when it was easier to find meaningful work; go get some.

<snip> . He will be sure to take fastidious care of your VW when > he recalls the crisp pair of Jackson's you gave him last time around. Base > the amount on the quality of service, and don't be miserly. > > G. Matthew Bulley > Minister of Innovation and Efficiency > Bulley-Hewlett & Associates > www.bulley-hewlett.com > (888) 468-4880 toll free > > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > To unsubscribe, e-mail: type2-unsubscribe@type2.com > For additional commands, e-mail: type2-help@type2.com