Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Jan 1999 16:40:29 -0500
From:         "Robert A. Alexander" <satcong@VOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Philosophy, long, working on VW's
Comments: To: "G. Matthew Bulley" <gmbulley@BULLEY-HEWLETT.COM>

Matthew - George Lyle is absolutely correct, as are you, too! My Dad was an M.D. and used to use the excuse for his never even checking the oil on his vehicles that should he get his hands too dirty with oil/grease stains, which of his patients would feel particularly comfortable with his poking his hands into various body cavities! Secondly, the danger he perceived of damaging his fingers, which he depended upon for his work in his profession keep him out of the engine compartment.

One of my old drinking buddies, a Dentist (died several years ago of liver cirrhosis), used to tell me he quit working on his '71 VW Van after he finished dental school because of his perceived possible objections of patients to his fooling around in their mouths with oil/dirty grease stained finger skin/nails. Of course, his concern was long before the AIDS scare and the subsequent use of gloves to cover up dirty grease/oil stains.

Face it, old farts like us make enough monies to pay folks to work on our vehicles. Everything you wrote is true, for some folks. But, there are some folks (including fellow Old Farts) who still cling to the "do-it-yourself" mode of thought AND some who can't absorb the release of bucks for someone else to do what they might be able to.

My patients have NEVER objected to soiled hands examining body orifices! In fact, it seems that the "dirtier" I am, the better I get along with my patients!!! I am sensitive, though, to their owners', my "clients", perceptions about my cleanliness. SO, I make a half-hearted attempt to remove as much goop as possible when I have to work on me Van.

I used to try to calculate how much I would be making (per hour) in the office as compared to my time spent working on me Vanagon, to justify hiring someone else to do the work, when I came to the conclusion that working on my Vanagon IS really a bit of "therapy" for me. I really do not desire to keep my office open for extended hours when I can stroke the Karma of me Vanagon, occasionally, which, I think, keeps my requirement for Pepcid AC down to a reasonable level.

At my age, as one of the honest Old Farts, the decision of whether or not to perform maintenance on me Vanagon boils down to previous experiences concerning just how long my lower back OR neck will require to return to "normal"!

BTW, I do have me VW Guru, who only charges $35/hr.

BOB - WA4RRN '85GL - "Bourgeoise" OLD FART