Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Jan 1999 17:06:54 -0500
From:         Maureen Stretch <mstretch@SPRINTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      New Puppy Transporter-trip reports

Hi listees! On the topic of trip reports where nothing goes wrong with your Vanagon, I submit the following:

Nine weeks ago I drove Johann, the Vanagon to a dog show site. My champion show dog, Coco was, ahem, expecting a litter any day. All the people who could help me with this first litter for both of us were camping at the show. Her vet was there too. So I drove my Westy there. Coco transferred to a nearby motorhome for the blessed event. The motorhome had all the amenities an expectant Lhasa needed.

Around midnight on a Friday night the first puppy, a girl, was born. At half hour intervals 5 more were born for a total of six in the litter. Four boys and two girls. :)

We stayed overnight one more night, I in my Westy with Coco's sister Cara, and Coco and her pups in the motorhome with an experienced Lhasa breeder.

The next day I got the Westy ready to take home two adult Lhasas and 6 newborn puppies. I packed everything up, let the motor warm up a little bit (it was November in New England and chilly) and put the new pups in a box in the front seat. It was suitably wedged in. The pups were covered with a blanket. The heater work well and provided warmth.

We took off and drove about 60 miles on the highway to home. The Westy ran like a charm. It provided a very smooth ride for the pup newbies.

Since then, I have taken the whole family - - mama, auntie and pups - - on at least three more shorter visits to friends who live nearby and to the vets. On every single trip, in the middle of winter, the Vanagon did not fail its tiny passengers.

Ya gotta like a vehicle that not only has room for them, but takes such good care of puppies!

Maureen Stretch Natick, Mass. 91 Vanagon GL Westy "Johann"