Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Jan 1999 15:24:16 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Gerry is up again...

Jan 23

Gerry took a nose dive yesterday. I didn't realize it until about 9pm last night and couldn't do anything about it until 11am this morning - sorry :( There was a message on the server that it was out of "virtual memory" and the hard drive was going ape... I ran a diagnostic on the drive everything is OK there. Checked the vitrual memory setting - all was within spec so I rebooted the computer. All looks as though it is going well.

A few things are starting to bother me about Gerry. First of all for those who don't know, Gerry is an HP Vectra XU with dual Pentium 90MHz CPUs, 64MB RAM, 4GB SCSI Hard Drive and Windows NT Server 4.0 with Service Pack 3 for an operating system, List Serve and Internet Information Server 4.0.

- Gerry is VERY slow. Opening control panel takes a good 10 seconds. - The hard drive is ALWAYS going. - It fails the year 2000 roll over (not a huge problem). I'll just have to manually set the date on Jan 1, 2000

I'm not sure what is really wrong with Gerry. For compairison sake, the http://www.volkswagen.org server is a Pentium 75 with a 2.0GB IDE Hard Drive (RAID1 Array), 48MB RAM, NT 4.0 Server with SP4 and IIS 3.0 all of this running on an Asus . My server also hosts about 6 other web sites besides volkswagen.org and fastforward.ca and it runs circles around Gerry.

What do I suggest? I think we need to move up to a fully Year 2000 compliant Pentium II series system with at least 128MB of RAM. We should also invest in another 4GB SCSI drive so we can mirror the information on the server. If Gerry's hard drive dies, this, as far as I know is the only copy of the list we have. Something to think about anyhow.

-- David Marshall - Vanagon List Admin - Quesnel, BC, Canada -- -- 78 VW Rabbit, 80 VW Caddy, 87 Audi 5KSQ, 85 VW Cabriolet -- -- 88 2.0L VW Syncro Double Cab, WANTED: VW / Bombardier Iltis -- -- David's Volkswagen Home Page http://www.volkswagen.org -- -- Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning http://www.fastforward.ca -- -- david@volkswagen.org (pmail) or vanagon@volkswagen.org (list) --