Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jan 1999 10:17:09 -0500
From:         Phillip Bouton <pbouton@NACCHO.ORG>
Subject:      FW: vent for the battery--Q's--why not aux too?
Comments: To: Davidson <wdavidson@thegrid.net>

Another response I received below. Joel states that his 88 non-camper does not have a vent. I suspect that might be because VW does not expect people to stay in the van as long as they would the camper? I sent him your comments.

As for the extra vent I mentioned-I was referring to the extra ventilation coming from the battery compartment. I don't think I can seal it from the inside (been cut-up a bit on sides by PO and my battery pushes on the top). Rather than plugging-up the battery vent I think I will try putting a extra piece of pipe on for the vent angled 90 degrees pointing to the rear. Hopefully that will create negative pressure and pull the air out of the compartment instead of the current blowing in(?).

I also plan to put in an aux battery, which I now know must be sealed to eliminate off-gassing effect. Too bad about the relay though-recently posted that the one in there is not the right one for camper aux battery. I wonder how many people are actually using the one that is there though. Thanks for the advise! ><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>:-) Phillip Bouton (PLEASE NOTE NEW ADDRESS) National Association of County and City Health Officials 1100 17th Street, NW, 2nd Floor Washington, DC 20036 Ph. (202) 783-5550, Fx. 783-1583 PBouton@naccho.org http://www.naccho.org

-----Original Message----- From: Joel Walker [mailto:jwalker@tusc.net] <mailto:[mailto:jwalker@tusc.net]> Sent: Thursday, January 28, 1999 10:55 PM To: Phillip Bouton Subject: Re: vent for the batter-Q's-why not aux too?

i've yet to figure out why the battery on the 87 camper HAS a vent tube, but the battery on my 88 non-camper does NOT. the only thing i can figure is that the camper is expected to run off the battery while sitting still: camping. and the 88 is not. so it must be that the battery off-gases more when being used and NOT charged. does that make sense? cause i'd always heard that the gasing was caused by charging. ???? and, no, i don't know if the 88 campers did or did not have the venting. maybe it was discontinued?? joel

[text/html]