Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Jan 1999 23:09:11 -0800
From:         DAVID MOST <most@UCLA.EDU>
Subject:      Is mechanic on the level?

I just took my '87 in for a clutch replacement, and the service manager called me the next day to tell me that not only was my throw out bearing bad, but I needed a new slave cylinder, "cross shaft", and cross shaft bushing (is this the release shaft under a different name), and my flywheel resurfaced and new main seal.

He began to describe how the clutch must have felt (I didn't speak to him when I dropped it off), and he really missed the boat in his description. Other than some intermittent screeching with the clutch pedal out (Most people said pilot bearing), it drove as it always has. It shifted fine without any of the crunching or sloppy shifting that the service manager stated must have been the case.

Unfortunately, the place I dropped it off is about an hour away, so I can't go see for myself. I'm wondering if he's trying to take me for a ride, or if it's possible that all the things mentioned above need to be done and I was just experiencing a little symptom.

As well as it was driving, and given the way the service manager was talking, I feel like somethign is up. However, I've never had a vehicle that needed a clutch or clutch parts, so I'm quite ignorant with respect to these matters.

What started off as a $250 clutch job is being revised to a $575 job. I've done most of the work on my vanagon since I've had it with the help of the list, so it's kind of a drag having to pay such huge sums. It would help if I could find someone that I could trust for sure around here.

Thanks in advance for any input.

david