Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Jan 1999 10:51:28 +0000
From:         The Henrys <jch@VNET.NET>
Subject:      Re: Clutch repairs, was "Is mechanic on the level?"
Comments: To: DAVID MOST <most@UCLA.EDU>

Dear David: Recent clutch experiences in my 84 westy may be of some value. Evaluating the veracity of your mechanic is something that time will only tell. I my case, the PO has replaced the clutch and throw out bearing at 80 k miles and again at 90 k miles and the slave cylinder at some point in-between. Their mechanic said it must be the way "his wife drove" and hit him up for $700+ for each clutch job.(the garage has since gone out of business or I would mention names.) It is easy to see why they sold me the van at 95k miles. So on to the point of my story, sure enough at 101k miles, at a stop light in Black Mountain, NC, (250 miles from home) at 9:30 pm on a Saturday night, the throw out bear went out with no warning. Well, disasters often have positive results, and this did. The very fine folks at the French Quarter Cafe (incredibly good food as well as folks) directed us to Rick Marrett (they said he was formerly known as the "bug doctor" at I-40 Auto Service. His examination of the whole system showed that all the parts you mentioned required replacement and, probably most important, the clutch "guide sleeve" was bad. He saved all of my old parts and the old sleeve had a noticeable bend in it which was preventing the throw out bearing from completely disengaging. Total cost: $511.

I have not seen anyone on the list mention the sleeve as part of a clutch repair, but it is only a $17 part and seems to have a real important role in the whole operation.

Good luck with your effort, I hope my experiences add reliablity to your future miles.

jim henry 84 westy 84 rx7 gsl-se