Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 31 Jan 1999 18:35:24 -0800
From:         Davidson <wdavidson@THEGRID.NET>
Subject:      Re: Dual Battery Relay - Part 2 (long)
Comments: To: harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET>

Harald, Thanks for going to the trouble to write this auxiliary battery information up. After reading it I have a couple of questions: 1. The $62 VW relay that you mentioned, how many amps is it rated for? And is it a Bosch? I wonder because my FLAPS has a 40 amp 4 post Bosch relay for about $8.00. 2. It is interesting to me that in some of the previous posts discussing the wire size and relay amp ratings, it was mentioned that a drained auxiliary battery could draw the total potential output of the alternator. I believe that would be 90 amps. I had a short talk with a tech guy at Optima the other day and he confirmed this possibility. If that is the case, I'm wondering why we are messing around with 40 amp relays and fuse/breakers? 3. It seems that in some places you mention 'breaker' and in some places 'fuse'. Can you or anyone comment on the relative virtues of the two in this auxiliary battery application? I did notice that Sure Power uses a 50 amp circuit breaker (auto reset I believe) in the kit that they sell. I'm not sure how even a 50 amp breaker would work in the event of a drained auxiliary battery and a 90 amp current. It is also interesting to me that they put their 50 amp breaker between the auxiliary battery and the isolator. I don't understand what they are trying to protect. (Perhaps the #8 wire?) Thanks for your answers, Bill 90 Westy Syncro -----Original Message----- From: harald_nancy <harald_nancy@EARTHLINK.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Sunday, January 31, 1999 12:33 PM Subject: Dual Battery Relay - Part 2 (long)