Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Jan 1999 23:06:32 -0500
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: NEED HELP!!!!
Comments: To: Jaime Bates <amstaffy_1@WEBTV.NET>

Not sure what you mean by "shield". If you are saying you cant get the ^%$&^$#* sensor out because it has "welded" itself in that also happened to me. After much cussing and sweating under the van the only thing I succeded doing was rounding off the nut. From there I pulled the section of pipe off so I could get at the bottom of the threads with penetrating oil. Leberal dousings along with repeated heating with a torch, pounding with a hammer and attacks with a pipe wrench and a cheater pipe for additional leverage finally did the trick. The object is to destroy the old sensor entirely without screwing up the threads in the pipe. If yours is anything like mine was it will fight you every step of the way. A better approach would probably be to pull the pipe and take it down to the local machine shop. They will be able to get it out for about $15 or so if you take it to them BEFORE you do much damage to the sensor. I did not take this route due to my having gotten mad as hell at the defiant sensor. After wrestling with it for a couple of hours I began to think I heard it laughing at me. From then it got personal. It was it or me, mano a sensor. I resolved not to leave the garage for any reason until either the sensor was out or the "Men-in-the-white-jackets" came to take me away. For a while the final outcome was in doubt but the sensor finally surrendered to the onslaught. Waving the now defeated sensor over my head like a trophy scalp I ran into the house shouting "VICTORY!!!" and subjected my long-suffereing wife to a detailed account of the epic struggle. Afterward, not having the heart to simply toss so valiant an adversary into the trash I inturred it in a place of honor in the top drawer of my tool box. Good Luck!!!

-----Original Message----- From: Jaime Bates <amstaffy_1@WEBTV.NET> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Friday, January 29, 1999 3:13 PM Subject: NEED HELP!!!!

Attempting to change O2 censor and can't seem to be able to get the shield off !!! Any suggstions??? we want to take care of this before we lose light and it snows. Thanks Jaime