Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (January 1999, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 30 Jan 1999 00:34:29 -0500
From:         Dave Caston & Sherrie Payne <cdcaston@NNI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle hunting problem, 85 1.9l
Comments: cc: gerryr@direct.ca

gerryr@direct.ca wrote: >Have you tried checking the exhaust system for leaks ???

Well, no. But along with all that other stuff in the other e-mail; On 12-5-96 @168k we replaced: the throttle body boot, exaust from heads to cat [factory stock VW (read, $$$ ouch!!!)] , throttle switch and O2. There was a second O2 at 214k. The ECU is also "new" used from a list member. The muffler could stand to be replaced as well though because the inlet pipe rattles around and make a racket. But it has "hunted" for a while and I was able to adjust the idle screw in a bit and make it disappear. Now I can crank the screw all the way in and nothing much happens, whereas it use to almost shut down. So my next (argh) task is to find the vaccum leak wouldn't you say? I think I'm going to take the tack of replacing all other vaccum hoses. Sound reasonable? This thing is going to be new pretty soon.

Thanks, again!

The other e-mail: >After much work on both our vehicles this past couple of months our 85GL >Westy, Vinnie, is running quite well again (thanks to gobs of $$ and lots >of searching.) On of the last hurdles to clear though is the idle hunting. >It simply, hunts for the right place to settle in. There is lots of new >stuff on Vinnie at this point (including reman VW engine 18k and just >yesterday he got a reman tranny) My only thought is that a vaccum leak is >causing this. I've bypassed the idle control module and the problem should >have just dissapeared right? Wrong. Still happens. Any thoughts? >The following are new: >fuel pressure regulator,fuelfilter,plugs,cap&rotor,ignition control >module,coolant temp sensor II,O2 sensor,new fuel lines, new small vaccum >lines > >little "filters" in fuels injectors have been cleaned out >timing is dead on at 5 degrees >capacitor fix is in a few days

Thanks again,

Dave Caston & Sherrie Payne Two nuts hangin' in the Allentown,PA tree! E-Mail: cdcaston@nni.com