Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:15:47 -0800
From:         Nathaniel Merrill <nmerrill@PARAMETRIX.COM>
Subject:      Re: Oxygen sensor info.(Read this)

Darrell, Not through the top by the wires but through the wires. That is how I understand it. There does not look like there is a "space" between the core and insulation as such. They must just vent through the wire -the spaces between the strands. Obviously, there is air there and not a vacuum but.... As I said, I am skeptical. What confuses me is this. I just purchased a sensor for my Subaru, a Bosch which comes with a crimp connector and some shrink wrap. This is supposed to still breath through the wire (its a single wire) right? even after being shrink wrapped? I don't get the impression that these "suck" much air, probably just a tiny amount really. I also doubt that the shrink wrap is totally air tight (unless you tried to seal it with grease or silicone). So maybe it is not all that unlikely that it would get the small amount of air it needs to work and that is why most people have not had problems with the cut and solder thing. I did though, probably because of the all day and night drives in total rain here in the PNW plus a faulty shrink wrap job which let in some moisture. So maybe there is not a problem with buying the 13913 and swapping connectors as long we maintain the flow of air between the "old" and new wire ends - or around the shrink wrap. I guess time will tell. I think I will seal the lower end of the protective rubber cover which covers the wires from the connector to the sensor. Simply shrink wrap the connections (which I will crimp instead of solder) and see how that works. That way water would need to get in the top by the connector AND get past the shrink wrap. Call me paranoid. Nat

>>> "Darrell Boehler" <midwesty@midwest.net> 02/02 11:30 AM >>> ------------------------- Hi Nat, Great work. I'm not positive I understand what you mean by "vents between the core and the casing". That to me means there is some space between the insulation and the copper wire. I don't notice much space there for breathing but would not want to contradict someone from farmington. Didn't know bosch had a plant or research and development there, farmington

is near peoria. If the o2 sensor vents on the top end near the wiring, water kicked up by the left rear tire will run down the wires into the sensor. It would appear to me the sensor should have been mounted such that the wire entry end would be lower than the rest of the sensor to avoid gravity pulling the water down the wire into the sensor. This is not the case on our vans, the wiring end is highest. Also I have a stock bosch vw vanagon o2 sensor on my 87 van. The wires are all crimped nice and tightly insulation and all. Darrell

-----Original Message----- From: Nathaniel Merrill <nmerrill@PARAMETRIX.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Date: Tuesday, February 02, 1999 12:52 PM Subject: Oxygen sensor info.(Read this)