Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:13:30 EST
From:         Michael Avrea <Vanadiesel@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Help! re 1.6 Diesel to Gas or 1.9TD swap???
Comments: To: vanagon@VANAGON.COM

Hi all, In a previous posting I wrote: >>My 82 Diesel Westy with 75k on it is about to spew it's last blast of smoke. I've somewhat settled on going to one of the gas inline vw engines. I'm looking for input on things to conceder, which engine to use etc... My budget is tight so I don't think it will afford going to a big enough diesel engine (1.9 TD) to make me happy. I don't want another 1.6 it's just to slow! I'm figuring on a used one. I'm not a mechanic so I will be paying for the labor @ $12 per hour. I will be doing the leg work.<< In another posting following the one above I stated I had decided to make the switch to an inline VW engine and was looking for input on which engine and transmission would make the most sense. Yesterday I bought a 89 wrecked Golf (front end damage but engine OK) with only 48,000 miles and in very good shape cosmetically except for the wrecked front end. I only paid $500 dollars as the owner just wanted to get rid of it. So I bring it home and have my mechanic over to check it out and now he wants the car! He says it's a shame to take the engine out of it as he could fix the damage himself and have a nice low miles car. He also says that the engine in that car will be some work getting set up in my Westy as it has the Digifant fuel injection system. It is the 1.8 RV engine rated at 100hp @ 5400rpm. He has connections in Germany and has been looking for a used 1.9TD for me but up till now hasn't come up with one. Will now he tells me he has and it is low mileage and he just so happens to be going there (Germany) in about a week. He says he'll get the 1.9TD for me and make some sort of a trade for the Golf roughly straight across the board. Either way I'll have him do the swap as he works very reasonable ($12 hr), is trustworthy and knows his stuff. He worked for VW in Germany as a line supervisor for 30 years. What would you do???

Thanks again for any and all input, Michael Avrea 82 Diesel Westy Ventura, California USA