Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Feb 1999 20:57:37 -0500
From:         Bob Stratton <bob@SDII.COM>
Subject:      Hello! (and a Syncro dealer for the web list)

Hello from a returning subscriber. Thanks to Ron and everyone for the web site and the mailing list...They've been invaluable in my recent decision-making process...

I was in love with my '76 campmobile, and was distressed to sell it back in '96 to be replaced by a 300E, even though it was in rough shape. I haven't felt right since. The Benz is a great car, but I keep looking for places to put stuff, or take naps, and it just doesn't cut it. I'm happy to state that this phase of my life has ended, since I'm about to add a really spiffy Syncro to my stable. I wanted to let you all know where I found it, so that someone might add this shop to the web site list.

I am about to take delivery of an '89 Vanagon Westfalia Syncro from a little shop in Reno, Nevada, called "J & R VW Vans." They're true-blue VW lovers, and specialize in Syncros. They also do very nice work on enhancements. I have them installing an Optima battery and a moderately large propane furnace (it's about 12-16000 BTU, takes 5 mins to heat the van) in the one I just bought.

I haven't received the van yet, but I flew out to their shop to check it out, and I have to say that they have a good eye for Westies. They tend to only buy vans free of rust and fix them up before sale, and from the looks of their own Syncros, they know how to take good care of them.

Jerry handles most of the business end and Randall seems to be both a solid VW mechanic and an accomplished RV craftsman.

Just one example: I didn't want to take up space for the furnace in my under-bench storage area. Randall has already done one of these furnaces in the little cabinet to the left of the refrigerator, and fabricates his own frame around it so it looks like original equipment. He's also done auxilliary batteries, second propane tanks, and other mods.

They're even trying to help me save money on the transportation of my Syncro out to me. I don't have any affiliation with these guys, other than being a customer, but I think they probably belong on the dealer list, since it took me a year to find a Syncro, and I'd like to save other Syncro shoppers some time.

J & R VW Vans All VW Repair 245 Dickerson Road Reno, NV 89503 +1 702 323 4943

Robert Stratton, Vice President Mail: <bob@sdii.com> Security Design International, Inc. TEL: +1 703 847 8282 URL: http://www.sdii.com FAX: +1 703 641 9090