Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Feb 1999 22:41:04 EST
From:         Sam Bateman <SBate82659@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Retrofitting 5X7 H-4 Lights - Another Method (long)
Comments: cc: organslave@EARTHLINK.NET

Randy,

I owe you an apology - on two counts. First, I miss-spelled your last name in my original post. Sorry, I didn't realise it until I read your response which quoted my post. I have a friend whose last name is Bergman and, apparently, I temporarily lost control of my fingers and thought process when typing this.

Secondly, the statement about drilling and tapping the reflector housing.

You said: << The lights that are used in the kit are not drilled through the reflector, that would be incredibly poor design. To mount the 5x7 lights to the brackets, small holes are drilled into U-shaped positioning tabs that are spot welded onto the reflector. These tabs are used for a reference to get the light to nest correctly. The hole is tapped, then a machine screw is used to hold the light to the bracket.>>

I miss-understood your original article on this that Joel posted to the List some time ago. I WONDERED at the time that I first read it if that was what you were saying but after re-reading this article today it's obvious I didn't interpret that part correctly. I agree with your above statement - that WOULD be a poor design.

The other point that I was trying to make in my post was about the appearance of 5 X 7 lights mounted in a Vanagon (whether by using your kit, this method, or any other method). There had been some questions raised on the List earlier about these lights looking odd and non-original. Well, when examined at very close range by a person familiar with the original lights they are certainly different but at a distance of 10 feet or more, they look quite natural next to the square, hi-beam lights. I'm very pleased with the improvement in lighting that the 5 X 7, H-4's provide and I would recommend this upgrade to anyone with a late-model Vanagon.

Take Care,

Sam Bateman Fork Union, VA '87 Vanagon GL