Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 3 Feb 1999 10:21:34 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <ron@NETCARRIER.COM>
Subject:      FS: '90 and '85 Westfalia Campers

I am seriously thinking of getting Evon the new Beetle she's always wanted for Valentines day. This means that I need to scrape up some serious dough right away. I have two Westfalia Vanagons in good condition that I would like to sell. I had been planning on holding off on seriously offering the '90 until the spring, when it would be worth more, but that money sure would come in useful right now! I should note that The Bus Depot is a parts dealer, not a car dealer. These are not "unknown" vans; they belonged to customers of mine who sold them to me. Technically I should specify that they are being offered by me personally, not the Depot.

Both campers are full Westfalia GL packages, with sleeping for 4, pop top, stove, sink, 3-way fridge, tables, velour seats with armrests, etc. Both are watercooled with 4-speed trans, power steering, and air.

The '90 is in very good to excellent condition all around. I wouldn't call it showroom, but it's really nice. It is a 2-owner vehicle, having been purchased in Germany by a military serviceman from the original owner and shipped back here. Mechanically it's great. Zero miles on a complete engine-out head gasket overhaul and transmission overhaul (new bearings, etc.). Work done by a highly regarded local VW specialty shop at a cost to me of nearly $3000, and is guaranteed for, I think, 6 months. New muffler, good tires, brakes, etc. Need nothing mechanically that I know of. Runs great. The shop did a full check-out of it when they did the work so I could give interested parties their phone number for a third-party opinion of condition. Interior is in excellent shape. Has a nice Pioneer sound system, otherwise stock. Body (white) has a small crease/scrape along the right rocker and another scrape on the left, neither at all major, other than that in good shape and with no rust. 108k miles. Kelley blue book retail is $16,100, I'd take $12,500 if I could sell it right away. I will definately ask more if I still have it in the spring when they sell quickly.

The '85 I mentioned here once before but will repost. Slightly under 100k miles, engine rebuilt about 12k miles ago, new clutch, runs well. When I drove it the only thing I found is that it runs a little cool, which is certainly not as bad as the alternative on a wasserboxer. Interior in decent to good condition, nothing significantly wrong but minor stuff like one armrest fell off and needs to be reattached. With very minor detailing it would be very nice on the inside. Outside is rust free and straight, except for a section behind the sliding door to the rear corner, where it was crunched in a minor fender-bender. Not bad, but you may want to smooth it and repaint that quarter panel for cosmetic reasons. I'm asking $3995; I think if you put a grand into the cosmetics you'd have a van worth closer to $5k, which may be what I'll do if I don't sell it by spring.

Anyone who buys either van gets any parts they need for it at my wholesale cost for the next three months.

Please call me at (215) 234-VWVW or pmail me for more info. I'm roughly between Philadelphia, Allentown, and Reading Pa.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot http://www.busdepot.com