Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Feb 1999 09:41:29 -0600
From:         Darrell Boehler <midwesty@MIDWEST.NET>
Subject:      fuse for fuel injection components

--------------- Hi Volks, I have had several questions / inquires about fusing the ecu, fi (fuel injection) cable, idle stabilizer, fuel pump, injectors, O2 sensor heater etc that I mentioned in a post earlier this week so here is the information as best I can describe it for installing an inline fuse. I feel the best place to put the fuse is in the relay box above the coil. Not sure where the relay box is on a digijet but it has the same setup, at least it is the same on an 84 fi harness, thanks Tim. Inside the relay box you will note a red / almost pink wire from the external connector to a relay, then there is a red jumper wire from this relay connection to the other relay. This is where plus battery voltage enters the system. One of these relays is the fuel pump relay the other is the ecu relay. I installed an inline 10 amp fuse between the external connector and the first relay by cutting the wire and soldering in the fuse holder. Things are a little tight inside the relay box if one wanted more room, like for inline splice connectors, locate the external wire that connects to this red wire and splice into it. There is plenty of room outside the box. Either place / method will protect the electronics very nicely. I prefer solder connections but then I am one of the old farts on the list and have been into electronics since 1960. If you go the external route Bentley shows the external wire bringing plus battery to the relay box as being red. I feel you can just use the red wire and fuse it. It is red on an 86, 87 and on the 84 harness. If you are still a non-non beliver sometimes the red and red with black trace are twisted inside the connector shield. Roll back the shield and check, or use the hat pin in the wire trick and find the red wire that has plus battery with the key off. Darrell