Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 4 Feb 1999 11:18:51 -0800
From:         Dana Morphew <kdm@WHIDBEY.COM>
Subject:      How to determine when coolent additives need to be replenished

We, John and me, have been wondering if there is a way, (a test kit would be excellent), to test coolant for adequate levels of additives. There is no objective argument we know of to support changing the coolant if: it still retains the original color, is close to a neutral ph, and still has a sufficient amount of the additives package. No apparent reason to discard coolant that has been mixed with, and topped off with, distilled or a low 'dissolved minerals' containing water no matter how long its been in use as long as it passes muster. Specifically the two categories of additives are the water pump lube and the 'anticorrosives'. A test for neutral or above ph, >6.9, is a good thing to do also, and it probably is important not to have it excessively alkaline, (say above 8 or 9?), or excessively acid.

At the moment I'm using NAPA's 'number 13'. It's a 12oz. bottle that claims it "...stops rust and prevents electrolytic or "battery" type corrosion. Prevents wear on all types of coolant-lubricated water pumps. Contains no silicates." The ingredients are: petroleum oil, sodium petroleum sulfonate, nonylphenol polyethoxylate, and water. I'm guessing the petroleum oil and sodium petroleum sulfonate are for the water pump and the nonylphenol polyethoxylate is for corrosion/electrolytic prevention. This nonylphenol polyethoxylate might be the item we would most like to check for.

The bottle reads: "For over 20 qt. capacity use two bottles." I give my vehicles the 'bottle prescribed dose' every two years since that is what the majority of coolant manufacturers recommend as the change interval. I've been doing so with the same coolant for six years now and have not yet had to replace a water pump. Any corrosion in my engines is tough to know, but my heaters still work well; the engines don't overheat. I've read somewhere that too much of a good thing is possible here and may have detrimental consequences, (can't remember specifically what), so I would stick with two year intervals.

Comments please. We would like to know if there is something we have failed to consider here. -Dana-