Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 5 Feb 1999 14:08:36 -0500
From:         "Philip B. Kerr" <pbkerr@TRYTEL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Web site imagery[was Re: NEW WEB SITE-copyright]
Comments: To: Doug Jones <duge4wd@EMAIL.MSN.COM>

Doug Jones wrote:

> So, where does this conversation leave us concerning the use of trademark > images? Such as the multiple versions and derivations of the VW emblem that > are used on thousands and thousands of web pages. Or how about other forms > of graphic art commissioned by the VW corporation, for use in their > advertisements (as far back as the fifties), and now also on the > aforementioned web pages. > > Are these all trademark or copyright violations that are waiting to be > sniffed out by VW lawyers? > > Some people may think this whole thing is off-topic; but, how many of us > have web pages (personal or business) with one or more of the above > mentioned images on it? Do any of you have explicit permission to use these > images from VW, VW of America, or the artists? > > I'm curious b/c I'm writing a web page now, and I don't want to set myself > up for trouble down the road. While it seems harmless now b/c some many > people just use these images, are they really breaking the law? Do they have > to worry about this? > > TIA, > Doug Jones

-- Doug:

Reproduction, or use of the VW emblem in Canada, without the permission of VW, would violate both the trademark and copyright rights of VW.

Philip B. Kerr

'84 VANAGON

Law Office of Philip B. Kerr Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law 240 Albert Street, 14th Floor Ottawa, Ontario Canada, K1P 5G8

Tel: (613) 238-2002 Fax: (613) 563-7671 email: pbkerr@trytel.com