Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Feb 1999 20:31:34 EST
From:         Sam Bateman <SBate82659@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Fuel additives...Friday (Is this for real?)

<< Is this for real? Or pulling our legs on Friday?

>Vic - I used to pour water down my '74 van's Weber carb whilst revving >the hell out of it to break up gunk on the valves/in the combustion >chamber. Once I got this water-cooled, FI, bastardized VW, though, it >just wouldn't work! > >Did find out that, every six months, squirting 1-2 fifths of Everclear >($12.70/fifth locally) through the quick-connect nipple my mechanic >installed on the throttle valve housing on my '85 whilst revving the >hell out it seems to have much better results than water in the old >air-cooled! Great clouds of particulate stuff flies out the exhaust, >the van runs much better afterwards and I can stand 15-20 behind the van >and feel those neat exhaust gas "pulses" in my face. > >Once a year, I dump a quart of kerosene into the sump and run it about >100 miles up and down the highway at high speed and then change the oil >& filter. The filter averages about 10oz more in weight than during >normal oil changes. > >BOB - WA4RRN >'85GL - "BOURGEOIS" >cpyrite1999 >>

No, it's for real alright. Used to hear of it more in the old days than now but it is still sometimes done. Just as recently as last month I performed this exercise (using water not Everclear) on my '79 Toyota pickup. Long story short, I had left a rich-running condition go when I should have long since fixed it. The end result was a lot of carbon on the inside of the tailpipe and also in the cyl head. This resulted in a "running on" condition when I switched the engine off after a good run and a decrease in fuel milage. I used a squirt-bottle to administer the H2O (about 1 1/2 Qts) instead of just pouring it in the carb. When all the dust (and smoke) had settled there was a spot approx. 6' in diameter with my tailpipe's exit at it's center that was covered with bits of carbon. It was the bigest mess yet that I have made in my driveway! Truck runs like new now tho.

Sam Bateman Fork Union, VA '87 Vanagon GL