Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Feb 1999 13:41:36 -0500
From:         "Joe L." <jliasse@TOAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: O2 Sensor
Comments: To: TWessner <twessner@CABLEREGINA.COM>

The only thing that ended up working for me is to take the pipe off and attack it from the inside with a good penetrating oil (J. B. Blaster). Otherwise you will never be able to get to the threads where the "weld" occured. Repeated heating with a torch along with repeated rapping with a hammer. Make sure you have a pipe wrench handy for when you srip the flats off the nut (WHEN, not if). A three foot or so length of pipe for a additional leverage on the pipe wrench is also good. Be prepared to near destroy the old sensor while trying to take it off. If it is "welded" on there too tightly is is possible to snap the nut off and leave the theads in the pipe.

If I had to do it over again I would pull the exhaust pipe and take it to a local machine shop. They will get it off for about $15 or so provided you have not done too much damage to the sensor trying to take it off yourself.

If yours is anything like mine pack a BIG lunch and tell the wife you will be gone for a day or so and to ignore any shreaks of profanity coming from the garage.