Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 7 Feb 1999 11:37:59 -0500
From:         William Dummitt <williamd@COMPUSERVE.COM>
Subject:      Re: Stuck Cylinder (Head Gasket Replacement)

This is a really tough problem, which I've encountered more than once. I

have always dropped the engine at this point and rented the VW special tools (described in Bentley) from the Bus Depot to disassemble and reassemble the pistons from the rods. This adds up to quite a bit more work but allows you to replace rings and clutch easily as part of the job.

The tools consist of a reamer which allows you to remove the little ridge

of metal where the wrist pin comes out of the piston (it absolutely, postively will not come out if you don't remove this little ridge some way). Another is an expanding pin tool which expands a rubber insert as you tighten it and gives you a firm grip on the wrist pin to allow you to

pull it out. The third, less essential, is a tool that allows you to hold up the rod so you can line the piston up with it upon reassembly.

The third tool is easily made from a coathanger. The first two have been

homemade by various people and are described in the archives, but I've found it much less hassle to rent the tools from the Bus Depot. I think the charge is about $20 or less, plus shipping both ways- its been about a year since I last did it. Ron also likes you to buy your parts from him in order to rent the tools.

Alternative ways people have dealt with this problem is to install rings with a small compressor while tapping the cylinder back down over the piston. It is hard to find a ring compressor small enough to fit, however, but I know this has been done. One approach is to fabricate a spring compressor from a piece of steel banding of the type used to secure shipping containers. This approach is easier if the stuck cylinder is 2 or 4 rather than 1 or 3 but has been used to do all of them.

Good luck, Bill www.geocities.com/yosemite/gorge/1706