Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Feb 1999 13:08:44 +0100
From:         Helmut Feussner <hfeussner@PLANET-INTERKOM.DE>
Subject:      Re: Reverse Lights

I had the same problem after doing some repairs. The problem was easy: I made the cam-shaped protrusion move 90 degrees away from its original position when I was trying to get this thing off the shifter bar with a hammer. You just have to hit it again directly on the protrusion and it will go back into its correct position. Additionally, I welded a small point onto it so it gets nearer to the ball of the reverse-switch. Now the reverse lights work... Seems like someone who was working on this trannsmission did not know how to remove the shifter bar (just like me) and tried it the wrong way first.

Raimund

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von: Michael Townsend <townsend@RTP.ERICSSON.SE> An: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Datum: Dienstag, 2. Februar 1999 02:07 Betreff: Reverse Lights

Hi, My '90 Carat with a manual transmission has reverse lights that do not work. When I pull the connector off of the switch and close the connection with a paper clip, they do work. Therefore, I assumed the switch wasn't working. I tried a new switch, and that did not help either. Even the original switch works fine on the bench with a meter. Therefore, while I was under the Van again last weekend, I pulled off the housing that holds the reverse light switch, just to see what was there. I saw that the bar that is connected to the shifter linkage extends through to this housing. It rotates and moves in and out based on what gear is selected. It has a little cam-shaped protrusion on one side which I presume is to make contact with the plunger on the reverse light switch. However, the little lobe is 180 degrees opposite of the reverse light switch when reverse is selected! The D.P.O's paid $1000 for this rebuilt transmission (at a VW dealership) that will not shift into second when cold -- I wonder if this lack of reverse lighting is another symptom of "dealership quality" craftsmanship. Is there anything I can do, or do I just wait until I win a lottery and can get the whole thing rebuilt properly? Thanks, Michael Townsend

[text/html]