Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Feb 1999 23:46:05 -0600
From:         Blue Eyes <lvlearn@MCI2000.COM>
Subject:      Top of line tow dolly just purchased

I used to own an auto tow dolly. But about 5 years ago I sold it. Several occasions occurred since then when I wished I still had it. Yesterday I bought another tow dolly. But this one is much nicer. It's the same unit the rental outfits seem to prefer. I got an extended lecture on what to avoid in dolly selection from one rental outfit manager who was kind enough to keep me from buying another like what I had.

Unlike my old one, this one has lots of trick stuff on it, like straight ahead lockable steering wheel pads. For empty towing, it's supposed to be better to lock steering to minimize "wander." For towing vehicles with their front wheels forward, it is best to unlock the steering and let it trail naturally. My old one couldn't do that. It has a built-in cable winch for loading vehicles lacking self propulsion. It uses straps instead of chains for the wheels, so the chance of dinging anything is gone. This top of the line unit goes for $1800 new, but I got it used. While I have more than twice in it what I sold my old beast for, this is a class act piece.

I have a suitable 5 speed diesel truck tow vehicle with which I've towed vehicles over 1000 miles in a trip, so I know I can move Vanagons pretty easily. Any List member who needs one moved, feel free to touch base with me. I might be willing to do it, depending on circumstances at the time. My future e-mail address will be LvLearn@cwix.com in case your mail bounces. John