Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1999, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 12 Feb 1999 21:31:36 -0600
From:         Budd Premack <bpremack@WAVETECH.NET>
Subject:      Re: tow bar?
Comments: To: VANAGONE@AOL.COM

Jerry Granito writes,

"does any one know if there is a vanagon specific tow bar I can purchase to use for flat towing the old loaf? TIA, Jerry"

You can use the U-Haul style tow bar if you attach it to the steel box frame member of the towed van.

I posted a lengthy explanation of my version of this a while back. For those who have an interest, and who hate using the Archives, I have attached a copy.

An update is that it is quite possible to use one van to tow another, although if you are going through mountainous terrain, you will need to use your lower gears, or get a quick engine transplant for the Audi 5 cylinder. I recently used my 86 Syncro to tow another van 900 miles through the midwest (mostly flat) and had no problems maintaining a cruising speed of 65 mph on the freeways. My gas mileage did drop to 13-14 mpg while towing, but back to 18-20 mpg without towing.

P-mail me with any questions.

Budd Premack 86 Syncro, 84 GL, 73 Super Minneapolis, MN (Land of Frozen Waters)

Tow Bar - Custom Made for Vanagons.eml [message/rfc822]